For Association Staff and those working on agricultural labour issues. Links provided in this section include important correspondence and research to support Ag and Food sector access to labour.
Important correspondence you need to know about.
These letters have been provided for distribution relating to the new Temporary Foreign Worker Program consultations which have been launched for Primary Agriculture (Seasonal Agriculture Worker Program & Agricultural Stream) and Processing (Meat & Seafood) :
- April 24, 2018: AILCA: Agriculture Industry Labour Council of Alberta, Re: Alberta Agriculture & Agri-Food immigration and labour options to fill proven job vacancies in rural areas
- February 26, 2018: LICCO: Labour Industry Coordinating Committee of Ontario, Re: Educating Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program workers on legislated rights.
- July 14, 2017: Labour Task Force Letter to Ministers ESDC, IRCC and AAFC with suggestions for process and outcomes and clarification of obstacles
- May 19, 2017: AAFC's Value Chain Roundtables All Chairs Letter to Ministers ESDC, IRCC and AAFC
- May 15, 2017: National Cattle Feeders Association letter requesting participation in the TFWP Primary Agriculture review
- April 21, 2017: Labour Task Force Letter to ESDC Minister Hajdu requesting LTF inclusion in the Primary Agriculture TFWP review
The most recent research on emerging labour issues to support your organization and members’ needs:
- LTF Outcomes List (Administrative Service Delivery Issues): Agriculture & Agri-Food Labour Task Force Proposed Outcomes, simple administrative solutions that will significantly improve service delivery for agricultural labour programming. These issues are not included in the TFWP Primary Agriculture Review; this is a short list is also included in the 2018 VCRT Labour Backgrounder.
- LTF Solutions Summary (Policy Issues): The LTF has developed this issues and solutions list to support the policy recommendations of the Canadian Agriculture & Agri-Food Workforce Action Plan.
- April 2018
- VCRT Labour Backgrounder: Agriculture and Agri-Food Value Chain Roundtable Labour Backgrounder including LTF input capturing recent emerging labour issues which the industry chairs of the VCRTs are highlighting at a meeting at the end of April to determine next steps.
- March 2018
- LTF Summary Notes (Jan – Mar 2018): Summary Notes regarding LTF members meetings with Department officials (Service Canada, Integrity ESDC, IRCC) regarding service delivery issues with agricultural LMIAs & Work Permits.
- February 2018
- CAHRC Briefing Note: Examples of service delivery issues that producers are encountering are captured within this Briefing Note. The CAHRC Briefing note of examples was requested by the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
- January 2018
- December 2017
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program Primary Agriculture Review - CFA Summary of TFWP Processing Issues & Proposed Solutions.
- LTF Research paper examining the Temporary Foreign Worker Program’s National Commodity List and Other Related Issues Restricting Growth for Agriculture & Agri-Food. English available Dec. 2017.
- A Review of the Seasonal Agriculture Worker Program (SAWP) and other Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) streams to access workers for seasonal farm work when Canadians are not available. English available Dec. 2017.
- November 2017
- Access to Labour for Seed Growers: Seed Sector AgriWorkforce Research Paper. This research was conducted and developed by CAHRC. English available Nov. 2017.
- October 2017
- Mushrooms Canada: Multiplying Mushroom Sector Opportunities with Rural Canadian Population Growth. This research was conducted and developed by CAHRC. English available Oct. 2017.
- August 2017
- An Innovative Immigration System at 150 and Beyond, Conference Board of Canada, LTF recommendations pages 12-13.
- June 2017
- May 2017
- CAHRC Chair and LTF Co-Chair Mark Wales presented the Conference Board of Canada Immigration Summit 2017 “Meeting Canada’s Labour Market Needs” panel regarding the LTF’s Canadian Agriculture and Agri-Food Workforce Program proposal
- Canadian Meat Council Labour Shortages in Rural Abattoirs: Solutions & Opportunities for Canadian Rural Immigration. This research was conducted and developed by CAHRC. English and French versions available.
- April 2017
- Canadian Federation of Agriculture TFWP Processing Challenges and Proposed Solutions (for Ag Stream and processors LMIAs and Work Permits);
- March 2017
- Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) Report on the Seasonal Agriculture Worker Program (SAWP). This research was conducted by LTF member Dr. Sara Mann from the University of Guelph and her colleagues Dr. Marie-Hélène Budworth and Mr. Andrew Rose . This research is a literature review which clarifies benefits for Seasonal Agriculture Workers.
If you have research or correspondence you would like to share with your industry colleagues regarding work you are doing on access to labour, please share with us and we will distribute to our CAHRC Partners.