Fast facts about Canada’s agriculture and agri-food industry
Agriculture is a big part of Canada’s economy.
In 2017, primary agriculture contributed $62 billion in total sales to the Canadian economy, and Canada’s agriculture and agri-food system accounted for:
- 2.3 million jobs in Canada – 1 in 8 jobs!
- $112 billion in product sales
- 6.7% of the GDP
But the agriculture sector faces big labour challenges:
- 16,500 jobs could not be filled in 2017
- 47% of agricultural producers could not find enough workers, causing stress, production delays, lost sales, and delays or cancellations for farm expansions or upgrades.
- 34% of employers reported that no Canadians applied for jobs on their farms
- $2.9 billion in sales were lost because jobs went unfilled
Those labour challenges will get worse in the future:
- Older workforce: 4X as many workers aged 65+
- 1 in 4 workers retiring by 2025
- 200,000 fewer young people entering agriculture by 2025